Mexican food is always a crowd pleaser. Serving Mexican food and drinks at a Mexico-themed birthday party will make the celebration even more memorable. This list of savory Mexican foods features simple, party-friendly eats. While some originated in Mexico, others transform traditional American dishes into south-of-the-border favorites. Many of these dishes can be made in advance, giving you more time to enjoy your margarita.
1. Chips and Dips. Corn tortilla chips alongside guacamole, salsa and bean dip are a must for any Mexican food party table. Also popular is chile con queso, a spicy, hot cheese dip.
2. Mini Tacos. Seek out small, soft corn tortillas. Fillings can include beans, cheese, fish or meats. You can pre-make the tacos or set up a taco bar where guests can make their own.
3. Chile Cheese Tarts. 1-inch pre-made appetizer pastry shells are the best thing that’s happened to parties since the wine charm phenomenon. You can fill these bite-sized cups with any filling you can think of, savory or sweet. We suggest a combination of fresh green chiles and cheese. Depending on guests’ preferences, you may adjust the heat accordingly.
4. Agua Fria. This refreshing drink can be made from almost any blended fruit. First, liquefy a fruit such as watermelon in the blender. Strain the mixture to eliminate seeds. Serve with a mint leaf garnish if you like.
5. Sliders Mexican Style. Try a spicy take on the slider phenomenon by adding salsa, cornmeal and pepper jack cheese to these much-loved miniature burgers.
6. Quesadillas. Tuck spinach and mushrooms with cheddar cheese between two flour tortillas and saute until brown. You can use smaller-sized tortillas for individual portions. If you’re using 10-inch or larger tortillas, you may slice the quesadilla into smaller servings once cooked.
7. Chile Spiced Nuts. You’ll find these spiced nuts on many bars throughout Mexico. Roast shelled, unsalted, blanched peanuts in vegetable oil in a skillet. When cool, mix in chile powder. You can add as much or as little as you like depending on your tolerance for heat. Salt nuts to taste and garnish with lime wedges. They can be stored for weeks in an airtight container.
8. Flan. This steamed caramel custard dessert has a creamy texture and is easy to make in advance. It can be served cold or at room temperature in small, individual-sized ramekins.